Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Learned Topics from LabSim Fifth Chapter (A Response to Threaded Discussion 07)

The use of conditional formatting to highlight cells containing particular values, text sequences, or falling within a range of values was something new to me; I had seen this done many times before, but until completing LabSim 5.9, was unsure of how to employ this technique myself. I intuitively guessed that there had to be some way of automating the whole process of color-coding cells given specific conditions, rather than doing so manually, but I had never actually employed conditional formatting like that before, for spreadsheets I was actively working with.

I've already made use of this new skill in my own life. 

Recently, I started building a spreadsheet that would allow me to compare all the pros/cons of multiple options for a program I have been looking at enrolling in. One of the obvious things you look at when comparing options is cost. Having learned how to conditionally format cells, I designed a scheme where Excel would color-code cells in the "Program Cost" column of the spreadsheet, based on what percentile of the cost distribution a particular program's cost fell into. The end result was a nice, stoplight-themed color code that allows me to compare program costs more effectively, by more or less immediately disqualifying program options whose total costs' fall in the "red."

I look forward to further exploring conditional cell formatting using percentages, highs/lows, etc. in future projects.


12 comments:

  1. What a wonderful implementation of conditional formatting you learned from IS101-3010, Spring 2022 to something meaningful in your life! I hope you will have more such examples to share in the future ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was that responsible, I tend to jump in to things and figure out the finances afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's cool you implemented it into your life. I should start doing that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a great way to pick a program.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Conditional formatting is a cool feature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice to learn a new skill that you find useful and are able to implement it into your life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to see you putting Excel to use. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like that we're able to integrate what we learn in this class to our work life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you are one of the students, along with others, that this class is made for. Hahaha!!! I admire how you make use of most of what we learn in class in your work environment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excel is my favorite unit so far, due to how useful and applicable it is!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I currently implement the conditional formatting on an excel sheet for my finances!

    ReplyDelete