Thursday, February 24, 2022

Unveiling the Chemex...

 I recently took the plunge, despite the rising price of coffee, and invested in a Chemex; it arrived this evening. Despite the late hour, I was too curious not to immediately put it to use. The results have been...lackluster.

I've been a devoted drinker of light-roasted coffees since living in Hawai'i, and being that the Chemex is widely reported to brew excellent light roast, it seemed like a worthwhile purchase. Now I'm not so sure.

The Chemex requires a certain level of skill, so that could be part of the problem. Being a first-time user, I don't have a feel for it yet. I ground my beans fine, and rather than letting the water cool ten degrees, did a pour straight off the boil.

The brew is clean, I'll admit. But it lacks the punchy endnotes that I get when brewing light roast in the French press. All in all, I'm disappointed thus far. I've had good coffee out of a Chemex before, but I wasn't the one making it. This attempt came out tasting clean, but flat.

Hopefully, with more research, and a little trial and error, I can improve the quality. So far the only thing my pour over game has going for it is texture.



15 comments:

  1. You will find the optimal temperature and timing for using brewing coffee using Chemex :-)

    Good luck on your presenting your slideshow on 'History and Preparation of Sushi' in-class tomorrow ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a coffee guy, I have too much energy as is. Drinking coffee or energy drinks put me at risk of a heart attack lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I mean...sometimes it gives me the shakes really bad.

      However, I've already given up cigarettes, you know, a bunch of other stuff. Coffee is my one remaining vice.

      I'm not giving that one up, no way, no how. They can pry that coffee cup out of my cold, dead hands at this point.

      Delete
  3. Try watching YouTube for different ways. With practice it will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love coffee. I used to drink it as a way to give me energy, but I feel it doesn't give it to me anymore because I drank it so much. So I am left with enjoying the taste (which is not a bad thing). I really want to get a smeg espresso machine. We have a Nespresso in my house and I love it, but those capsules are at least $30!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. It just looks like glass with a funnel on top. I never heard of Chemex. I wonder if their is a place in Vegas that has something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do have an occasional cup of coffee every now and then, but I am more of a tea drinker. However, I notice that if I have a headache, a strong cup of coffee usually eases the pain. Don't know how, but it does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think coffee kills a lot of peoples' pain, in various ways.

      I know a lot of people from Jamaica are bigger tea drinkers than coffee. Actually, we only drank tea in my household growing up, and I didn't start drinking coffee until I was in college.

      I'm still a big tea drinker.

      Delete
  7. Never heard of this before, but personally use a French press for my coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. I get great Kona blend out of my French press.

      Delete
  8. I hope you can eventually make some coffee in the Chemex that you can really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coffee can be very satisfying when you get the right mix and blend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't particularly enjoy drinking coffee, but coffee/espresso-flavored desserts are some of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a daily coffee drinker, so I can appreciate a good cup of coffee. My brother has a Chemex and he is always raving about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck! I am not much of a coffee person, but my whole family loves coffee.

    ReplyDelete