Thursday, February 17, 2022

Bamboo Forest in a Rain Storm

There were a lot of things I loved about living in Hawai'i, but having the jungle in my backyard (a real jungle, instead of one fashioned out of concrete) was what I loved the most. 

Any time I felt stressed (90% of the time; you're always broke in Hawai'i), I'd throw my gym bag in the car, and drive H1 across the island to Manoa, where the Na Ala Hele trail system has a whole grouping of different trailheads across the Ko'olau Range. Driving up the side of Mt. Tantalus was an experience in and of itself. Dozens and dozens of hairpin turns, folding back on themselves, shaded by these gigantic trees with flowering vines hanging down practically into the old road that zigzags up the mountainside. 

There are mansions dotting the mountainside, too. Some of them have some really interesting history associated with them. I found out after coming back to the mainland that one of the palatial Spanish-style houses near the Makiki Valley trailhead actually belonged to Ferdinand Marcos. He purchased it with money he stole after he was exiled from the Philippines. I walked by it probably a dozen times, and didn't know...

Not being able to climb mountains and wander aimlessly through bamboo forests has definitely had a less than stellar impact on my mental health; going to Red Rock or Lone Mountain isn't really the same, although I try to go fairly often. 

I actually got caught in a miniature cyclone while in one of those bamboo forests, witnessed a minor mudslide. Kinda thought I might die, but I didn't (obviously). I took some pictures before all hell broke loose.

I'm still not really sure I made the right choice moving back to the mainland, but...I'm stuck with it, so...you just try and make the best of it. 

Some days I'm more okay with it than others.




13 comments:

  1. Glad you survived the mini cyclone :-)

    When life gives you lemons, make lemonade ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hiking trail systems reminds me of Seattle, WA. It was no jungle, but they had walking or hiking trails almost everywhere throughout the state, good times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds really cool! There's one trail in Maine that I really like to hike. It's basically a really long hike around a lake and sometimes it's really foggy and it looks really ethereal. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to visit Hawaii one day. My husband lived there and loved it. You can always move back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds beautiful, I know it was a mini cyclone, but begin at a safe distance away and just hearing the rain and smelling the freshness of the forest would be beautiful. I'm glad you are okay though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad always told stories about his time in Hawaii, always so mesmerizing to me. Hawaii is somewhere I hope to visit soon. I am sure pictures are nothing compared to the actual view, and that description you gave of your drive up the mountain was everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to visit Hawaii...it is of those places that I have on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nevada has decent trails, but you should check out Utah if you haven't already. Zion is beautiful and Utah gets really good snow for skiing and snowboarding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the visual, That's quite a scenery, I have always wanted to visit Hawaii, minus the cyclone and mudslide. glad you survived.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love hiking and mountain climbing I have never been to Hawaii but I always wanted to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super pretty! I went to Hawaii for the first time last year and it was super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always wanted to visit Hawaii, it seems really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a friend that really misses his homeland, but he says it's also nice to be able to afford things haha

    ReplyDelete