Friday, February 11, 2022

Learned Topics From LabSims Second Chapter (A Response to Threaded Discussion 04)

Learning the basics of ports and connectors, covered in the Computer Hardware section, is something I can see being useful in the future, largely because it's knowledge that I could have sincerely made use of in the past. It's a topic I had virtually no experience with beforehand, found confusing at the outset, but definitely feel more comfortable with having worked through the section.

This information really would have helped me when I started working in a state office. I had taken a job with the DOE, and showed up my first day, bright and early, to discover I needed to assemble my desktop before I could get started. As it turns out, where our office was located in Waipahu, was dangerous at night. At some point, after some folks tried to ram a truck through the front gate, following two previous (successful) break-ins, the DOE started mandating that we disassemble and lock up our hardware every day when we left. Which of course meant having to reassemble it the next morning.

It took me a good fifteen or twenty minutes to get the computer set up, because I'd worked on a laptop for years, and hadn't actually had to assemble a desktop in a long time, maybe ever. I looked foolish, and it really wasn't an ideal way to start things, with my boss impatiently waiting down the hall for me to finish setting ups so that we could start.

Having known what was covered in the LabSims hardware section would have made the whole process much easier, and spared me some embarrassment. I can absolutely see this information, and the practice the I got from the simulations in particular, being very helpful in the future.

14 comments:

  1. Wow, I never heard of a workplace that had to disassemble and lock up its hardware daily for physical security reasons!

    Glad you found the simulation training of connecting the peripherals to a computing device in chapter 2 helpful ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Yeah...we had a security guard out front too, but he was almost completely deaf. Some of those folks just walked in the back, he was watching the front, and I guess he legit just didn't hear anybody come in, apparently. They cleaned one of the other offices out.

      Super nice guy though!

      Delete
  3. I never heard of that security protocol. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so lost when I'm on a laptop, I prefer desktop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's amazing. Security protocols are really stepping up their game!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I hope the number of break-ins decreased with the new protocol. I also would have loved knowing about the desktop hardware before this class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never knew Hawaii has such dangerous places. I always assumed everyone is happy living in paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting! Glad you were able to pull it off though. That must be a nervous experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree learning the use of ports and connectors will be very useful outside of class.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this information is very useful personally I always wanted to build my own gaming pc but I was always intimidated by the ports and connectors and not being sure what they did. This information helped me to be less intimidated by learning about computer hardware.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Having to disassemble and reassemble your hardware sounds super irritating! I can't see myself doing that haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man that seems stressful to need to build your computer every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like tedious work to disassemble a computer each night, but also sounds necessary considering the break ins

    ReplyDelete