Monday, February 28, 2022

Introspection

Reflecting on the last several weeks, it's clear already that my general knowledge of information systems has grown quite a bit. It wasn't so much that I was a complete novice coming in (I wasn't), but more of an issue of having knowledge gaps. I think that, largely, this was because most of what general computer knowledge I had, I picked up specifically for a job, and due to the pace and the stress level of said job, I really had to focus on learning only what I needed to use routinely. IS101 has definitely helped to bridge some of those gaps.


My skill level with respect to Word is a good example of this. Starting IS101, there were some concepts I was very familiar with, and some functionalities I had used regularly before. Nevertheless, there was still some basic foundational knowledge that I was missing, because it wasn't central to doing my job, and due to time constraints, I had to forego learning more about it. I can definitely say that this has changed and, after completing the LabSim units devoted to Word, I have a good solid grounding in all the basics of the word processing software.


LabSim has also done something else, arguably more important in the long run, in that it's made me question how I learn best.


At my previous job, there was no real "hands-on" training; training basically consisted of watching a set of long, horrendously boring seminar videos that took hours. After a week of this, I was on my own, still not having had any practice whatsoever with things I was actually going to be doing on a daily basis. LabSim has really driven home my current boss's philosophy of "You learn by doing," and I've really taken that to heart these last weeks. Having an environment where I have the consistency of being able to do the same tasks again, and again, and again has been enormously helpful, if not always stimulating. Being able to take quizzes over and over, too, has helped, allowing me to refresh my memory in a more hands-on way as often as needed. As a result, most of the topics we've covered, I feel like I now have really strong foundations in. I couldn't say that with honesty before.


The only issue I see going forward is that, starting my next job, there won't be a "LabSim" to give me unlimited experience performing the basic functionalities of my job. I dread returning to an environment like before, where it's a week of videos and then you're off. Maybe I'll be more fortunate this time around, but most workplaces don't often invest in good training, so I'm not optimistic about it.


In summary, this course has illustrated how successful to me personally the repetitive, learn-by-doing method of learning is. This course has also helped me reflect on just how woefully unprepared most employers are with respect to training new employees. I have no doubt that retention rates and general workplace culture would improve if more institutions started offering hands-on, repetition-based training platforms like LabSim.

12 comments:

  1. "LabSim has also done something else, arguably more important in the long run, in that it's made me question how I learn best." Wonderful introspection on your experience in IS101-3010, Spring 2022 thus far :-)

    Very glad you are taking advantage of the opportunity to repeat laboratory simulations in LabSim until you are comfortable and confident with your skills ^_^ Repetition leads to mastery!

    Funny you mention that most employers are woefully unprepared to training new employees. Given your understanding of the Japanese language and your career goal in IT, check out this video: "The 10-Year Hunt for the Lost McDonald's DS Game" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e6xOBCAVvA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same exact way! I'm all self taught, or learned what I know through jobs I've had in the past. Outside of the repetitive things I do, I get lost easily. This class has really helped build my confidence through learning what I'm doing rather than just repeating a specific motion or action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alot of jobs now don't train, you have to go in knowing everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree this class has made me more comfortable using Word than I was before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Labsim is wonderful, I use it in another CIT course and I like the videos and examples to use. It is a much better approach to learning than just being told to read several chapters on a subject from a textbook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of jobs expect you to know everything before going in, which is horrible especially if it's your first time working in that type of job. Jobs need to train their workers better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. IS101 and LabSim is a welcome surprise learning the lessons I have about Microsoft, Excel and soon Powerpoint is great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could never go through this class without Lab Sim. Even though the Professor help us as much as he can, Lab Sim gives us unlimited attempts to practice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I agree with lack of training at jobs. I have succeeded at my job simply from trial and error.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The training aspect can often be annoying. Its like the paradigm of jobs requiring 7 years of experience, but how will you ever get a job if no one gives you the opportunity to gain that experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree. This class has made me feel a lot more computer literate and Microsoft proficient.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Being able to go back and see where you made your mistakes helps with retaining the information

    ReplyDelete