Saturday, March 5, 2022

Learned Topics from LabSim Fourth Chapter (A Response to Threaded Discussion 06)

Learning about how to properly employ section and page breaks has been enlightening. I knew what page breaks and section breaks were, but I didn't really understand how to distinguish between their uses (i.e. purpose) in more complex documents. The way LabSim combined their usage in some of the testing documents really helped to delineate the differences between the two.

A big part of a previous job I held involved preparing contracts for state business; many of these contracts were actually extensions, and so we had templates that we had to update and fill-in with new information as the renewal deadline began to approach. Not really understanding the difference between these two types of breaks created enough of a headache on its own, but when combined with the fact that oftentimes, in retrospect, the breaks seemed really poorly planned to begin with, it became a nightmare for any other than the shortest of renewals.

In all honesty, I don't ever want a job like that again, so I don't intend to be able to directly apply this knowledge to a similar situation in the future. Having said that, I still use Word frequently, and finally understanding how to organize multilayered lists, and utilizing breaks in a clear way to ensure the numbering for different lists is correct, will still be helpful.

12 comments:

  1. Very glad that you learned the difference between a page break and section break :-)

    Sorry to hear about your previous job experience. I think you will still end up applying the knowledge of the differences between the two 'breaks'. One practical use is when you need to have difference settings (e.g. margins, header/footers, orientation) within the same document -- a section break vis-à-vis a page break will be required.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here, I didn't really know what their purpose was until now. I don't think I'll use them very often, but it's good to have the "know how".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it is useful to know. I don't know where I would use this, but if I were to use it in the future then at least I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even know about either of them. It would've been useful for my English class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know what a page break was until this class. This knowledge will become helpful eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything learned in Word was extremely helpful. Looking forward to applying it in future courses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The page break helps a lot to keep the papers looking nice. I just used it on my Econ paper that I had to do. It made it look so much nicer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Page break and section break are really cool features in word. It took me a while to learn them, but I got it now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just yesterday I was showing my wife how to use the section break when a page break is not actually needed. We learn so much useful information.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's super valid to not want a job like that again. I think its stupid when I hear people's ideologies revolving around being tied to or forced fealty to their jobs. Unless its a terrible contract or you really have no other option, just go find another job that suits you better, There's plenty of opportunities out there and we deserve the best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Page breaks help make you're document look so much more professional. I enjoyed learning how to properly use them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Page breaks were something I learned that I never knew I needed

    ReplyDelete