Wednesday, May 18, 2022

The Final Post: Chili Peppers

I decided for my last post to share a random fact I learned yesterday about chili peppers.

Apparently, historically, peppers got noticeably hotter the further south you went (to a point); the hottest peppers flourished in Brazil, the Yucatan, and India. Biologists now believe that this was actually a defense mechanism developed by chilis in tropical climates to ward off predators, particularly aphids and cicadas (which are disgusting anyway).

Apparently, said predators have a nasty habit of munching on the peppers, and then flying off; the puncture marks they leave behind allow moulds to enter into the pepper and basically rot it from within.

As it turns out, capsaicin, the organic compound responsible for chili peppers' heat, is an antimicrobial agent that prevents the moulds from doing long-term damage to the pepper. It has the added benefit of warding off cicadas and other predatory insects, which are sensitive to capsaicin and can't stand the heat.

As you go further north, the older, indigenous species of peppers become milder, apparently due to the lack of a good reason to pump up the heat. 

Huh.

Well that's the end of that.

Take care, folks!

7 comments:

  1. Interesting facts about chili pepper.

    You are definitely one of the breakout students and IS101-3010, Spring 2022 would not be the same without you!

    Thank you for sharing your background and upcoming endeavors with me.

    I am excited that things are picking up for you ^_^

    This may be your final blog post, I hope you will update me and your classmates on your future successes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chilly peppers gets hotter the further south you went interesting, I didn't think it could get any hotter. I wish you success in all your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know this at all. My dad is from New Mexico and my grandma always gives us chili and peppers from there. It is very interesting knowing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats awesome. Good for them peppers. I love spicy foods and eating peppers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun fact! I can't feel the effects of spicy food at all

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can not do chilli peppers to hot

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up in an environment where we use a lot of peppers...it is a huge part of our culture. I enjoy cooking with them also.

    ReplyDelete