Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Improv Dinner : Fish Tacos w/ Alaskan Cod

I was at Sprouts on Saturday night, and discovered that they had wild-caught Alaskan cod at a low price. I don't cook a lot of cod; I prefer black cod (which apparently is actually not cod at all) and salmon, but decided that I could use some whitefish. I bought a pound.

I thought about what to do with it since I don't make it often, and decided the easiest option, for whitefish generally, was to make fish tacos.

I ended up throwing together a blackening rub, using garlic, paprika, oregano, cayenne, and plenty of salt, and then pan-charred the cod until it was flaky. I shredded cilantro up, and threw some on top, along with kimchi in place of slaw, since I didn't have any.

I actually don't eat a lot of grains, but I always keep a bag of Foods For Life sprouted corn tortillas in the fridge for emergencies such as this. I heated a couple in the pan, then spooned the blackened cod and assorted toppings into them. Lastly, I threw together a little sriracha cream, and drizzled it over the top.

The whole thing worked out really well, and I have enough for another two nights on top of it all.

Bon appetite.


19 comments:

  1. Interesting improvisation! Gotta work with what you have on-hand :-)

    Hmm... photos of the fish tacos are making me hungry ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. That honestly looks really good, I think that the cilantro and the sriracha cream make the tacos look delicious. Surprisingly, I have not had fish tacos before, but this loooks really good. Also, I have had sriracha cream sauce a few times and I get addicted if it's in my presence. Especially with tofu goi cuon, which are Vietnamese spring rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vietnamese spring rolls are great...I just had some the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those tacos look amazing! You are making me hungry right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fish taco sounds delicious, sounds like something I would like to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love authentic tacos I have to admit that I have never tried fish tacos before I think that would be a creative way to get myself to eat more fish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tacos are my favorite. They look so delicious!! I think I want tacos tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look pretty good, tacos are one of the best finger foods out there. Only authentic tacos though as Americans have butchered the recipe into something gross.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, impressive! I like the fact that you are very creative and I sense a hint of Michelin Star rated chef in the making.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you should try it with hand made or fresh tortillas, that makes the food so much more better and the taste is one of the most unique that you could try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound really good...I've had freshly-prepared ones before that were excellent.

      The tortillas I'm using now are sprouted corn, which makes them easier on the digestive tract. They, interestingly enough, are some of the most "authentic" tasting I've had from a store-bought variety.

      It's been a delightful surprise.

      Delete
  11. I am not much of a seafood person, but the tacos look good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks really tasty! I love cooking, but baking is its own beast. It makes me kind of sad that I'm back on my fast regiment and I'm watching my caloric intake nowadays so I don't get to cook/eat as much but I still cherish all that I can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that I despise baking...there's flour everywhere. It's like a scene from Scarface, white powder everywhere.

      I guess it's just not my strong suit.

      And I agree, it's a totally different arena from just cooking, for sure.

      Delete
  13. I didn't have breakfast this morning so these tacos are lookin extra delicious right now. Tacos are starting to sound like a good lunch idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it. Take the plunge!

      They're always a good idea.

      Delete
  14. I am so glad I clicked on the picture because from far away it looked like raw fish instead of sauce! haha but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete