Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Encountering My First Stumbling Block

This week, I started working on the first part of the second LabSims unit.  I have to admit that I found some of the simulations really difficult to complete at first. While I watched the tutorial on how to work with the interface, it still took some getting used to, moving different devices to and from the shelf, into the workspace, back and forth. I had to try one of the exercises several times before I was able to get it right. I definitely did not have this experience with the first unit.

I think part of why I struggled so much has to do with just a general lack of knowledge as far as hardware goes for these things. I knew some of the basics already, like what the AC power cord looks like, or what a USB cable is, but my knowledge beyond that was basically nonexistent. All the different types of ports and connectors were just very alien to me. New territory for sure.

This isn't a bad thing, though. I'm going to be working with electronics quite a bit, and I'm sure that will entail working with some of these elements at some point. Any familiarity with those beforehand can only help.

15 comments:

  1. Wonderful to hear you are covering new territory :-)

    Glad Chapter 2 Computing Essentials is building your knowledgebase ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, it's funny you say that! I spent what felt like forever trying to figure out how to turn on the monitor and desktop lol We got this though, teamwork makes the dream work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all good. I was 2.6 in the labsim and I was doing exactly what the lab wanted me to do, but the program wouldn't register what I was doing, so it counted both of them as wrong. Which is okay because two points off won't kill me, but even the program doesn't register itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree I found of the labs very difficult, I am not sure which one it was. But I did spend a bit of time on it then I usually did. I also kept accidentally hitting the "start over" button instead of the "score lab" button and kept restarting the lab multiple times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. The lab is very challenging, I do have to redo a few times as well, it's nice to know that I am not the only one the struggle is real. We can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree I struggled on a few; practice makes perfect though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It can be challenging. I too struggle sometimes, but at the end of the day, I always leave with a smile knowing that I have accomplish something new. I can start the next day feeling proud that there is something new in my repertoire.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I myself struggle with the lab as well. Mainly I found it hard to move the items using my laptop scroll pad. I eventually had to plug in my wireless mouse and that gave me better control to move items from the shelf and connect them on the lab.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some of the labs were a bit difficult but it did feel great to learn something useful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am taking other CIT classes and yes I agree some of the lab sims can get difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Andrew I also found the simulations to be very difficult which is surprising because I use my desktop every day but it really made it clear to me how little I know about the hardware.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Same here some of the labs are weird and sometimes if the connection is lost at any moment it will make you do it again. At least to my experience that is what it does to my computer at home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was already familiar with this chapter, but I have a poor memory so I also had slight setbacks in completing this area. Happy to report that I persevered through it all as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It took me awhile to get a hang of how to use the workspace simulations too, dragging the icons was tedious at first.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This chapter wasn't too bad for me, but I can see how it could get difficult with all the names.

    ReplyDelete